Sion, the capital of the Valais, is a town renowned for its sunshine. In fact, it is the sunniest town in French-speaking Switzerland, with an average of 2,200 hours of sunshine a year. Occasionally, however, the weather doesn’t cooperate and it can rain.
So what can you do in Sion when it rains? Here are our suggestions for things to do with friends or family.
Museums, castles and other cultural sites
Sion, rich in cultural and historical diversity, offers a captivating array of museums, monuments and cultural sites that will satisfy the curious and enthusiasts of art, history and entertainment, even on a rainy day.
- The Valais History Museum, located in the Basilica of Valère, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, displays a collection of fossils, minerals and naturalised animals. The collection includes dinosaur fossils, rare minerals and naturalised animals from the region. The museum also hosts temporary exhibitions on a variety of themes.
- The Nature Museum, located on the shores of Lake Mont-d’Orge in a magnificent natural setting, presents a collection of plants, animals and minerals from the Valais. The collection includes alpine plants, forest animals and minerals from the region. The museum also offers temporary exhibitions on Valais nature.
- La Maison du diable, a cultural space devoted to cinema and contemporary art, is located in the centre of Sion, in a historic building. The Maison du diable offers a varied programme of films, exhibitions and concerts.
- The Musée d’Art du Valais, the Valais art museum is located in a modern building in Sion town centre, exhibits works of art from the Middle Ages to the present day. The collection includes paintings, sculptures and decorative objects from the Valais and elsewhere. The museum also holds temporary exhibitions on local and international artists.
- Le Pénitencier, a museum dedicated to the history of the Valais prison system, is located in the centre of Sion, in a former penitentiary. The museum offers a guided tour of the prison, as well as an exhibition on the history of justice and punishment in Switzerland.
- Tourbillon Castle, a remarkable historic site open free of charge to the public all year round. The ruins of this castle are enveloped in a mysterious, medieval atmosphere, which is further enhanced on rainy days…
- The Basilica of Valère in Sion, located at the top of the hill, offers a breathtaking view of the town and surrounding area.
- Les Celliers de Sion, wine tasting and purchase in the heart of a magnificent Oenoparc in Valais.
- The Théâtre de Sion is a public theatre located in the centre of Sion. It offers a varied programme of theatre, dance and music, with shows for all ages and tastes.
- La médiathèque de Sion is a public media library in Sion town centre. It offers a wide selection of books, magazines and films, as well as digital services.
A wide range of indoor activities
A multitude of indoor activities to suit all tastes and ages… ideal for spending a pleasant, fun-filled time, even on a rainy day.
- The Tourbillon Ice Rink, located at the foot of Tourbillon Castle, is open from November to March. It offers skating lessons, hockey matches and shows.
- Cinesion, Sion’s cinema, is located in the town centre, close to the railway station. It offers a varied programme of films, including French, German and English.
- The indoor Olympic swimming pool at Ancien Stand is open all year round and has a 50-metre pool, a paddling pool and a refreshment bar..
- The Rottes bowling alley in Conthey is open every day and offers bowling for all ages.
- Kids Fun Park, located in the centre of Sion near the railway station, offers a wide variety of trampoline activities for all ages and levels.
- Sion Escape and Escape World, two escape game centres in Sion. The favourite activity for lovers of challenges and enigmas…
- Go-Diving, the Padi diving centre and school in Sion, offers first scuba dives in the pool.
- We’ve saved the best for last… RealFly, of course! An indoor free-fall simulator in Sion that lets you experience the unique sensation of free-fall without having to jump out of a plane.
Sion, the sunniest town in French-speaking Switzerland, offers a multitude of activities to do, even on rainy days. With its numerous museums, cultural venues and indoor leisure activities, Sion is an ideal destination for all ages and tastes. So don’t let the rain get you down! Sion welcomes you with open arms, even in bad weather.
And don’t hesitate to visit us at RealFly, to discover our “wind tunnel” or simply to sip a drink at the bar.